Volcán Tajumulco (2 Days)
- Duration: 2 Days
- Location: Xela
Join us on our 2 day trek to the highest point in Central America: Volcan Tajumulco! Standing at 4,220 meters tall, Tajumulco means, "above the clouds" in Mam, the local Mayan language. After a strenuous trek through montane pine forests to our base camp, this giant of the Guatemalan Highlands offers views galore. We'll enjoy lunch and dinner at camp before going to bed early in preparation for the highlight of our trip. We will awake in the earliest hours of Day 2 to begin the final ascent to the summit under the cover of dark. There, we will watch the night sky turn to dawn as the sun rises over the volcanic line of Guatemala. To see all that the summit has to offer, we will circumnavigate the volcano's dormant crater during our descent to capture views of surrounding mountain ranges, nearby Mexico, and the Pacific Coast. At the basecamp, we will have breakfast and prepare for our final climb down the mountain. We will begin the journey back to Xela after eating a small comedor at the bottom of the mountain. Although this is a moderately difficult trek, we think its potential rewards make it worthwhile.
Please note that this trek must be booked with a paid deposit by 11am the day prior to departure. All requests to book made after this time are not guaranteed and will incur a Q50 late fee.
**There is a mandatory pre-trip meeting at 5:00pm the evening prior to the trek's departure. Here, you will meet your guides and fellow trekkers, borrow any gear you may need, receive communal gear, finalize payment, and more.**
- Average backpack weight: 15 - 20 kg*
- Maximum elevation: 4220 meters
- Total trek distance 15 km
- Age: 17+ for our public calendar trek. For families and private treks, please contact us with questions.
For more information on elevation gain and distances, view the hike's elevation profile in the photos.
*Mules are available to rent for an additional Q550. Please contact us for more information if desired.
DEPARTURE & RETURN LOCATION:
Quetzaltrekkers Office, Xela (Located in the back of Casa Argentina hostel)
- 5:00 PM mandatory pre-trek meeting the evening prior to trek departure
- 5:00 AM meeting time the morning of the trek
WHAT'S INCLUDED: 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 1 dinner, Trail Snacks, Private Transportation, Guides, Gear
WHAT TO BRING: Hiking Shoes; Hiking Clothes, Many warm layers of clothing*, Rain Jacket and/or Poncho, Sleeping Bag (at least 0C rating); Sleeping Mat; Hiking Backpack (60 - 70L); Sun Protection; Headlamp.
- You will also be required to carry 5 liters of water, some communal food item, and a tent piece.
- *Temperatures will be at or below freezing (0C/32F) before wind-chill. Please plan a
- * We have all hiking gear available to loan (all gear is by donation) at no additional charge. This will all be given at the pre-trek meeting.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Where do we sleep? We sleep in tents at the base camp (4,000m). Tents are carried by the
- What do we carry? You will be expected to carry everything in the "what to bring" list above, as well as any other personal items you may elect to bring. Mules can be rented for an additional fee.
- Can I store luggage in Xela during the h? Yes, we have a secure, locked room in which you may store your luggage.
- I am vegetarian / vegan / lactose intolerant etc.. We accommodate dietary restrictions. All trek food is vegetarian and has vegan ; all restaurants offer meals that meet most dietary requirements. Please fill out the "dietary requirements" section while booking with any information about food allergies or intolerances we should be aware of.
- How do I sign up? By paying a Q100/person deposit, on this webpage or in our office, before 11:00am the day previous to the trek. The remaining balance is due by cash or card at the pre-trek meeting.