Day of the Dead - Special Party Trek - 4 Days
- Duration: 4 Days (approx.)
- Location: Xela
Note: this trek is not the full Nebaj - Todos Santos hike! If you want to do the full trek including the Day of the Dead festivities, please look here.
Quick factsDifficulty: 6/10
Average backpack weight: 5 kg
Maximum elevation: 3820m
Total trek distance 10 km
Join us for the most unforgettable Día de los Muertos celebration in Central America: Skach Koyl, featuring the drunken horse race! Meeting at our office, we'll join the 7 day trek by bus at Don Jeronimo's house in La Ventosa on October 30th. There we meet up with the Full Trek, have dinner, enjoy a temascal (traditional Mayan sauna), and maybe hear a tale of the family's survival through the Civil War. Both groups will wake up early for a hike up to the highest non-volcanic peak in Central America: La Torre, standing at 3780m! We take in the view, then head down the mountainside through the beautiful Parque la Maceta into Todos Santos for the party!
Please note that all treks must be booked by 11am the day prior to the departure to avoid a 50Q late fee. Please note that any additions with late fee after 11am are by guide discretion and you are not guaranteed a space after this time.
**There is a mandatory pre-trip meeting at 6:00pm the evening prior to the trek leaving where you will meet your guides and fellow trekkers, borrow any gear you may need to borrow, receive communal gear, etc.**
DEPARTURE & RETURN LOCATION
Xela (Casa Argentina hostel)
11:00amWHAT TO WEAR
Hiking shoes, hiking clothes, warm change of clothes, rain gear, backpack (40-50L), sleeping mat, sleeping bag (0 deg), sunscreen, swimsuit and towel (opt), clothes for the 2 evenings in Todos Santos.
* If you need to borrow any hiking gear, we have it here for you included in the price
Day 1 - Join the 7 day trekkers!
- 11:30am - Meeting and brunch at QT office
- 12:00am - Take bus to La Ventosa
- 4:30pm - arrive at Don Jeronimo’s house in La Ventosa, meet the 7-day Trekkers!
- 5:00pm - use a temascal
- 6:00pm - dinner for both treks, make friends
Day 2 - Both treks
- 7:00am—eat breakfast in La Ventosa
- 8:00am—start hiking up towards La Torre
- 10:00am—reach the top of La Torre, a 250m climb from the beginning of the day
- 11:00am—begin descent from La Torre, down 1300m
- 12:30pm—lagoon-side lunch
- 3:00pm—reach the highway where we will be transported to Todos Santos
- 3:30pm—arrive at our lodging for the 2 evenings
- 4:30pm—check out the town and join the party!
Day 3 - THE PARTY
- 8:00am—breakfast is ready
- 9:00am—explore the races, fair and festivities!
- 2:00pm—more fun in Todos Santos, lunch is up to you
- 6:00pm—dinner in downtown Todos Santos
Day 4 - More time in Todos Santos
- 7:00am—hungover breakfast at Casa Familiar
- 8:00am—visit the cemetery, last minute shopping, etc.
- 12:00pm—hop on a bus back to Xela
- ~5:00pm—arrive in Xela, say good-byes