- Duration: 2 Days (approx.)
- Location: Xela
Average backpack weight: 15-20 kg
Maximum elevation: 4220m
Total trek distance 15 km
Please be advised we have a minimum age requirement of 17+ for this trek.
Join us for a 2-day hike up Volcán Tajumulco, standing at 4222m as the highest point in Central America. We start hiking at 3000m altitude in the small roadside town of Tuichan, and take about 5 hours to ascend to base camp—about 1000m ascent and 4km of walking. Don’t let that short distance fool you—with the altitude of Tajumulco and the heaviness of our packs—this hike is moderately difficult. But you’ll be rewarded with excellent views, resilient stands of pine trees that have managed to grow at 4000m altitude, and weather permitting, a stunning sunset before dinner.
On Day 2, we’ll wake up early to watch as the sun rise above the volcanic line of Guatemala—Agua, Acatenango, Fuego, Atitlán, Santa María all visible in the distance. With the sun above the horizon, the view enjoyed and the pictures taken, we’ll return to base camp to pack up and have breakfast before descending down the mountain for lunch and heading back to Xela. Groups usually return to Xela by 6pm.
For anyone who would still like to join us on this hike however are worried about the weight of their backpack, mules are available to rent for Q450. Please contact us for more information if desired.
Please note that all treks must be booked by 11am the day prior to the departure to avoid a 50Q late fee.
**For this trip, we advice you to acclimatize to the height in Xela at least 2 days before our hike starts. There is a mandatory pre-trip meeting at 5:00pm the evening prior to the trek leaving where you will meet your guides and fellow trekkers, borrow any gear you may need to borrow, receive communal gear, etc. **
DEPARTURE & RETURN LOCATION: Xela (Casa Argentina hostel)
DEPARTURE TIME: Every Tuesday and Saturday with a pre-trek meeting the evening prior at 5pm in our office.
WHAT'S INCLUDED: 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 1 dinner, transport, guides, gear
WHAT TO BRING: Hiking shoes, hiking clothes, warm change of clothes, warm jacket, pants, hat, gloves, rain gear, sun screen, sleeping bag (0 deg or lower), sleeping mat, backpack (50-70L), headlamp
* If you need to borrow any of these items, we have them here for you included in the price
- ~5:00am — meet at QT office *NOTE: You will receive the exact time at the mandatory pre-trip meeting the evening prior at 5:00pm
- 5:15am — take a truck ride to the Minerva bus depot, board a bus to San Marcos
- 7:30am — arrive in San Marcos, eat breakfast at a comedor
- 8:30am — take a bus to Tuichan (where the trail head is located)
- 10:00am — arrive at the trail head, start hiking
- 2:30pm — arrive in base camp, about 200m below summit
- 3:00pm — set up tents, eat lunch, relax
- 6:00pm — watch sunset from Tajumulco’s second summit, Cerro Concepción (4100m)
- 7:00pm — dinner and hot drinks, then bed
- 3:30am — wake up
- 4:00am — start hike to summit
- 5:30am — arrive at summit, watch the sun rise
- 8:00am — return to base camp, eat breakfast, pack up
- 10:00am — hike back down the mountain
- 12:30pm — eat lunch at Tuichan comedor
- 1:30pm — take a bus back to Xela
- 4:30pm — arrive in Xela, return gear, say goodbyeshttps://www.quetzaltrekkers.com/xela/book-a-trek-adventure-trek-chicabal/