Xela – Lago Atitlán
- Duration: 3 Days (approx.)
- Location: Xela
Average backpack weight: 10 kg
Maximum elevation: 3050m
Total trek distance 46 km
For more information on elevation gain and distance, view the hike's elevation profile in the photos.
Please be advised we have a minimum age requirement of 17+ for our public calendar trek. For families and private treks, please contact us with questions.
Hike your way for three days through cloud forests, corn fields, coffee plantations, and small pueblos to watch an incredible sunrise over the famous Lago de Atitlán. Along the way, spend two evenings in small Guatemalan pueblos, one with the chance to use a temazcal — the traditional Maya sauna — and relax by a fire at a homestay with all your new friends. On the third day, after an early wake up and short walk, we'll watch the sun rise over the Lake whilst eating breakfast at the mirador. Once the sun is up, we descend through coffee groves into San Juan La Laguna where you can enjoy a cup of coffee at the La Voz Coffee Cooperative. From there, we'll take a pickup to San Pedro where we swim, eat lunch, and await our bags at the waterside restaurant El Fondeadero before saying our tearful goodbyes.
Please note that all treks must be booked by 11am the day prior to the departure to avoid a 50Q late fee. Please note that any additions with late fee after 11am are by guide discretion and you are not guaranteed a space after this time.
**There is a mandatory pre-trek meeting at 6:00pm the evening prior to the trek leaving where you will meet your guides and fellow trekkers, borrow any gear you may need to borrow, receive communal gear, etc.**
Xela (Casa Argentina hostel)
Every Tuesday and Saturday, with mandatory pre-trek meetings the evenings prior at 6:00pm
Restaurante El Fondeadero (San Pedro La Laguna)
12:00pm (Bags from Xela dropped off between 1 and 3pm)
WHAT TO WEAR
hiking shoes, hiking clothes, fresh (warm) changes of clothes for night time, fleece, rain jacket, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, backpack (40-50L), sunscreen, swimsuit and towel
* If you need to borrow any hiking gear, we have them here for you included in the priceWHAT’S INCLUDED
3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners, snacks, filtered water, transportation, guides, gear, and lodging
Bag drop to the Lake (if you want luggage sent to San Pedro, it is Q100 extra per person for the first bag) OR Transportation back to Xela. Alcohol, Ice Cream in Ice Cream Village (Day 2) and Coffee at La Voz Coffee Cooperative (Day 3).
- ~6:15am — meet at the Quetzaltrekkers office for breakfast *NOTE: Your guides will give you the exact time at the mandatory pre-trip meeting the evening prior at 6:00pm.
- 7:30am — 25 minute walk to La Rotunda bus depot, 25 minute bus ride to Xecam
- 8:30am — start walking uphill, climb out of the Xela valley
- 10:30am — make it to Alaska, our highest point during the hike (3050m)
- 11:30am — begin our descent from Pacural into the cloud forest
- 1:30pm — lunch
- 5:00pm — arrive in Antigua Santa Catarina Ixtahuacan
- 5:30pm — temazcal
- 6:30pm — dinner
- 7:00am — breakfast at a comedor
- 8:00am — walk out of Santa Catarina
- 10:00am — Record Hill
- 11:30am — Ice Cream Village! (Tzucubal)
- 1:30pm — lunch
- 2:30pm — begin the stream crossings
- 4:10pm — the corn field of death
- 5:00pm — arrive in Xiprian
- 6:00pm — dinner at Don Pedro’s
- 7:00pm — camp fire!
- 4:30am — start walking to the mirador
- 5:45am — arrive at mirador, eat breakfast, watch the sunrise over Lago Atitlán
- 8:30am — descend through a coffee plantation
- 10:00am — arrive in San Juan La Laguna, stop at La Voz Coffee Cooperative for a fresh cup of coffee
- 11:00am — take a pickup to El Fondeadero, a restaurant on the water in downtown San Pedro
- 11:20am — arrive in San Pedro, eat lunch, hang out, swim
- 2-3:00pm — bags arrive, goodbyes are said, trip ends